May 2, 2010

Pros at complications

See that blog title? That's Brent and I. After losing Morgan, the hematoma, dire predictions and other issues, I've now failed the one-hour glucose test.

The call came the other day. Apparently, levels are supposed to be between 70 and 139. (The level of what escapes me.) Well, I clocked in at 155. I didn't think that was too much higher than the limit, but the OB nurse who delivered the news thought otherwise.

"Well, it's still quite high, ma'm. You'll need to take the three-hour glucose tolerance test within three days."

Considering that they called Friday (even though I took the test at 6:30 a.m. Tuesday), I will not be getting the test done in three days. So, that's that.

On Monday, I have my 29-week appointment at 8 a.m. So, the glucose test is now scheduled for 6:30 a.m. Tuesday. Oy.  I've read in several places that a lot of women fail the one-hour and pass the three-hour. I'll be chugging a liter of some sort of sugar-water equivalent after fasting for 12 to 16 hours. Then, blood is taken every half-hour. (Warning: Do not taunt the bear Monday night. Why would you make a pregnant person who is hungry all of the time fast?)

And, really, if most people fail the first and pass the second test, what is wrong with the first test? Anyway, here's to hoping the first test was a fluke. Of course, if I have gestational diabetes, then we'll just deal with that, too. Come on, Amelia. Get here soon (although not too soon) and healthy, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment