November 16, 2009

Did you know curiosity killed the cat?

Lucy and I were on a walk the other day around our neighborhood. There's a family who lives down the block with three children and a pit-bull/boxer mix puppy named Sirus. Let me tell you, they are one of our favorite neighbors.

As we passed their house, the mom, dad and their youngest daughter, Rachel, were outside raking leaves. Although, they didn't seem to making much progress given the huge maple trees on their property.

We got to talking, and the dad asked if Brent and I had any children.
"Uh, no," I said caught off-guard.
"Oh, do you want kids?" he asked
"Yes, definitely." I racked my brain, trying to change the subject. Question. Think of a question. "So, where do you work?"
-- No dice. He was like a dog with a bone. --
"Why don't you have kids now, then?" He was just staring at me leaning carelessly against his rake. I blankly stared back with anxiety sliding into chest.
"Well," I said as I cleared my throat, "we lost our first child not too long ago, so ... " I trailed off.
Without missing a beat, he replied, "You're not going to stop, are you? Keep trying."

I smiled. Here's this nosy neighbor giving me baby-making advice. Awesome.

"Laura, wanna know the best way to have a baby?" (Not really, I thought to myself.) "Have someone get laid off, fall behind on your bills and rack up credit card debt. That's how we had three kids."

So, here's to having a baby. And I thought buying a house was diving into enough debt.

No comments:

Post a Comment