October 26, 2009

A wet whirland worth more than the world

Our journey to New York City was one of the best family moments. My family -- the original four -- has visited many places in the country from Seattle to Las Vegas to Maine to Florida. This trip was different with two new faces, but the weekend was even more of a blast.

The itinerary:
We arrived in the city around 1 p.m. after getting let's just say a little lost.
We settled into our smack-in-the-middle balcony seats around 1:30 p.m., and the lights dimmed at 2. After an amazing Broadway show (seriously, you must see "Wicked"), we walked to the Hotel Edison (albeit in a round-about way).
No familiar with this famous building? You must not be Italian, or more specific Sicilian. It's from a scene in "The Godfather" when Luca Brasi meets up with Virgil Sollozzo. See, my parents were in New York a bit ago and they stumbled upon this hotel. As my dad walked up the stairs, he turns to mom and says something along the lines of "I think this is where Luca Brasi was in 'The Godfather.'" (He was right.)
After our historical movie moment, we grabbed an SUV cab to the Tavern on the Green. On a side note, the cab driver definitely jumped out of his driver's seat to yell at a soaking wet tourist who walked in front of his car with his broked umbrella. "You stuuupid, idiiiiiat! You not see da green light? You colablind? You stuuupid idiiiiant!"

Fast-forwarding to dinner, Tom and Jess asked Brent and I to be a groomsman and bridesmaid in their upcoming July 24 nuptials. We couldn't be happier.
After a wet walk back to the Hotel Beacon, we lugged our bags into our rooms. (The rooms weren't ready when we arrived before the play.)
Then, headed to The Dead Poet for a nightcap. By midnight, we were cooked and a little tipsy.

I awoke early determined to go for a run in Central Park, despite a dull headache. After 45 minutes and a brush with death (darn New York drivers), I realized the beautiful NYC Greenway never led me to my destination. I did, however, see a beautiful sunrise along the Hudson. All was definitely not lost. We made noon Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral (beautiful), and toured midtown enjoying the sunshine.

Like I said, a beautiful, whirlwind of a trip. I think the best part was riding in the car with my parents, though. Dorky? Perhaps. Maybe now that I'm 27, I can actually admit that I like, in fact love, my mom and dad. (Don't tell the 16-year-old Laura, though. She wouldn't believe you anyhow.)

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I truly appreciated or, rather, accepted my parents -- faults and all -- until I was in my 20s. I now love spending time with them. I can relate to this.
    Sounds like it was a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it was an awesome trip. "Wicked" is a must-see.

    ReplyDelete