October 20, 2009

You tell me that's not a miracle

There are so many charities in this world, it's amazing how helpful thousands of people can be. From all-things cancer to homeless outreach to support groups, there is nearly something for everyone out there. It's the ability to get behind -- and I mean really get behind -- one cause that proves to be the most challenging.

I learned that this weekend.

On Saturday, I participated in the 5K run/walk for life, benefiting the Gabriel Network.* The mission of the organization is to "support women in their decision to choose life for their unborn children by providing programs and services, through Christian friendship, within a community of faith." (Notice it's not all about being Catholic or Protestant or Luthern or ...) Gabriel Network is an ecumenical, pro-life organization that gives shelter, food and guidance to women who are embarking on an unbelievable journey. The slogan is "Nothing is Impossible with God."

I have known about GN for a few years, but I never truly realized the scope of its actions. *Disclaimer: My dad is the current president of the organization. The admirable thing about my dad is that he never preached about his efforts, only invited us to see what it was all about. On Saturday, I volunteered at 7:30 in the morning and then ran in the cross-country course in the rain and mud and cold.

I never had more fun. These people, these volunteers, poured their hearts into this effort because they know that it's God's plan at work. A little background: A few months ago the organization was about to declare bankruptcy. They had three houses where pregnant women lived, and all three houses were going to close, throwing this women onto the streets. Anonymously, thousands of dollars were donated. Now, GN has five houses and is looking to extend their programs to include minors.

You tell me that's not a miracle at work. I've ran plenty of charitable races, but this one holds a spot close to my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment