January 17, 2010

Movie recommendation

Sometimes, I'm a little behind the movie curve. I can't even remember the last movie Brent and I saw in the theaters. (Could it have been the last "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie? How sad!)

A co-worker recommended newly released "Away We Go."  It stars John Krasinski (the guy from "The Office") and Maya Rudolph. It's about a short period in the couple's life when they're world is thrown into upheaval. His parents announce they are leaving for Belgium a month before the baby is due. Flabbergasted, they retort that they only reason they moved to the area was so their daughter was close to her grandparents.  (Her parents  passed away when she was 22 years old.)

The story focuses on their plane trips to Arizona, Montreal and other places while they try to figure out where they wan to raise their child. I wasn't sure if Brent would like the movie, but surprisingly he did!

Even though my friend warned me about the saddest part, it still hit me like a freight train. There's a scene where Burt (Krasinski) and Verona (Rudolph) are at a club with their BFFs from college. Even though the couple had several adopted children, they were unable to have any of their own. The husband talks to Burt divulging his wife suffered her fifth miscarriage.

My breath caught in my throat. Five? Brent looked over at me and grabbed my hand as tears rolled down my face.

Then, the husband reflected upon it in an almost sterile manner. Not meanly, not uncaring, just honest perhaps.

"You get excited when you hear the news. You see them grow inside. And then ... then you just watch them fade away."

In body perhaps, but not in my heart, Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment